Monday, January 25, 2010

Meet Cassie!


Cassie S.
Corps member serving at Turner at Green

Hometown: New Berlin, WI

Education: B.A. in Political Science and History from the University of Wisconsin

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve on the Serve DC team serving at Turner at Green Elementary School. I work in a second grade classroom providing small group literacy and math tutoring as well as in-classroom support for my teacher. In aftercare, I work with pre-kindergartners and kindergartners. I also serve as my team's evaluation coordinator, in which I track the tutoring hours of my team in order to show our impact at Turner at Green.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I joined City Year to take a year off from 'normal' life and give back to the country. Also, I was attracted to spending a year in the classroom to gain perspective and experience before committing to working in the education field. I serve because I am adamant about education and helping children. I am a product of great public schools, and I believe every child deserves to have the same (or even better) education than I did.

What are you most excited about this year? I'm most excited about being in the classroom everyday with my students. I can already tell they are improving and that make me excited. Plus, they make me smile and laugh on a daily basis.

What are you most nervous about this year? I'm most nervous about never having enough time to help all of my students every day.

What is something most people don't know about you and wouldn't guess? While I am pretty quiet and laid back around people I'm not really close with, with my friends and family I am a total goofball and usually can't stop talking. And I love watching sports, especially football and college basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment