Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Introducing Jonathan G.!


Jonathan G.
Corps member serving at Browne

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Education: Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, English and Philosophy Minors

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve as a Whole School Whole Child member at Browne Educational Campus. I tutor, mentor and I am a role model to six grade students during the school day, and fifth graders in the after school program. I am also a coordinator for the Starfish Corps program for third through fifth grade at our school, an initiative that introduces the kids to the importance of service in the community. Additionally, I assist as a Team Leader for high school students on Saturdays through the City Heroes program, a program for high school students that shows them the importance of community service and teaches them about important social issues in our society.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I joined City Year because I knew this was a great organization to do my year of service with. I serve because I am very passionate about assisting communities in most need and I truly believe in public service. I also serve because I strongly believe in the positive impact that young people can make to close the achievement gap across our nation by working with inner city public school districts, as City Year exemplifies.

What are you most excited about this year? I am very excited about being able to make a positive difference in the lives of my students. I am excited to see that by the end of the school year, I can be able to witness that they were much better off by having a corps member tutoring and mentoring them in the classroom every day throughout the school year. Overall, I am excited to be able to contribute to make any positive impact with my students and thereby at the school and the community I serve.

What are you most nervous about this year? At the beginning of the school year, I was nervous about how my students and staff would react about having City Year corps members in the classroom. However, we have received great feedback from everyone at the school, thus this is not as worrying any longer.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I met President Obama in the past through an internship on the Hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment