Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Get to Know Anna!


Anna O.
Corps member serving at Francis-Stevens

Hometown: Newton, New Jersey

Education: Attended St. Louis University and planning to finish my BA in journalism next year.

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve at Francis Stevens Elementary working with the 7th and 8th grade English classes.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? After doing a year of service with AmeriCorps NCCC, I knew that I wanted to do another. I chose to do my second year with CYDC because of its reputation and the thought of bringing about social change. My mom has always said that you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. 

What are you most excited about this year? I am most excited to learn from the other corps members that I serve with. I am constantly reminded that it is when this are at there hardest, that is when change occurs.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am most nervous about being so far out of my comfort zone. While meeting new people and learning new things exciting, there is also going to be hardship that accompanies that excitment. I just hope that I will always keep my goals in mind during difficult times.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? When I was 4 years old I recorded a vocal track that is now featured on the Alice Cooper Classiks album in the song Stolen Prayer.

Anything else you want to share- In City Year it is evident that there is no end to learning. The corps members and students I have grown to love have taught me so much I didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment