Monday, October 19, 2009

Get to know Katie!


Katie Whitehouse

Project Leader for Community Engagement

Hometown: Victoria, Texas

Education: BA from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am the Project Leader for Community Engagement

What did you do last year? I was a corps member, and I served at Browne. During the day I worked in Ms. Faulk’s 4th grade class, and then I worked with 4th graders in afterschool

Why did you come back to serve at City Year? I came back for the kids mainly. It was obvious early on last year that there is a definite need for us and that we made a real impact. I also want to make sure that other young people have the chance to serve with City Year.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? In our afterschool program, we had a drama club. At the end of the year, the students performed in the play “Peter Pan.” It was amazing to see how the children’s confidence levels increased and how excited they were about the play. We also were able to engage over 100 parents and community members through the event.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I grew up in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment