Monday, October 19, 2009

Meet Jaime!


Jaime Barrow
Team Leader at Ferebee-Hope
Community School

Hometown: Annapolis, Maryland

Education: BES / BA from Howard University in Washington, DC and AC from Emily Carr Institute in Vancouver, British Columbia

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am a Whole School Whole Child team leader for the NCTA team serving at Ferebee-Hope Community School. I lead and support a team of Corps Members in their service. I am responsible for day to day communications with our service partners; I also work the school’s Parent Resource Center with an AmeriCorps VISTA member; and I work with the Community Center attached to our school complex.

What did you do last year? I served at City Year Greater Philadelphia last year as a school-based team leader on the Comcast Team at University City High School. I specialized in academic support in Math, Science, and Technology. I also coordinated an after school program for adjudicated students.

Why did you come back to serve at City Year? I love service, and I love City Year because I feel like City Year has given me a way to communicate the things I care about. I’ve also found a passion for engaging students, and their communities in service, and there’s no better place to do that than in City Year.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? Last year my team kept a bowl of candy in our CY space. Our space had two doors, and there was a kid who would walk in one door take a handful of candy, and walk out the other door without saying anything. He did this several times, before we found out who he was. Eventually he was hanging out in our room all the time. In May when we were leaving he wrote us a long poem about how much he appreciated us any everything we did. It was one of the best moments of my service, because all he did was hang out around us – we never tutored him, he never came to any events, but he still appreciated us that much.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I’ve been married for 7 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment