Monday, September 28, 2009

Meet Maria Aurora!



Maria Aurora Frijas

Recruitment & Alumni Affairs Manager

Hometown: West Covina, CA

Education: University of California, Riverside; B.A. History/Law & Society

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am currently the Recruitment and Alumni Affairs Manager. I am responsible for recruiting young leaders from diverse backgrounds for a demanding year of full–time community service at CYDC. I also help lead the site in engagement opportunities for City Year alumni as volunteers and civic leaders.

How long have you been with CYDC and why do you serve? I have been with CYDC since August 2009 after serving two years at City Year Los Angeles, firstly as a corps member on the Civic Engagement Team and then as a senior corps member for Recruitment and Visitor Program. I continue to serve with City Year because I have seen the change and transformation that City Year brings to the communities we work in as well as the inspiration that touches those who interact with our corps members.

What are you most excited about this year and or the future of CYDC? I am most excited about recruiting and talking to young people in the local areas – VA, MD, and DC areas that I am very new to, as well as the projected growth of CYDC in the upcoming years and the tremendous work we are going to do in the city.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? I am a big fan of physical service and my last service project as a senior corps member was a Care Force trip that included a few of my fellow senior corps members right after graduation. It was bittersweet in that it was the way we began our senior corps year and it was how we were ending our senior corps year with Care Force. It was so much fun, our volunteers were AMAZING; the projects were completed, and we all truly enjoyed our time.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I am a big fan of Bollywood movies and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment