Monday, September 28, 2009

Meet Kristin!


Kristin Walega
Director of Recruitment & Alumni Affairs

Hometown: Washington, DC

Education: BA in Political Science from Villanova University in Pennsylvania and a MPA in Non-Profit Management from George Washington University

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am the Recruitment and Alumni Affairs Director. I am responsible for
recruiting young leaders from diverse backgrounds for a demanding year of full–time community service at CYDC. I work with the Recruitment and Alumni Affairs team to build partnerships with colleges, high schools and community partners in the DC region to help spread the word about City Year. I am also excited to work with our Alumni Association, as a city Year Alum I understand the impact our alumni can have on our work and look forward to developing new ways to engage the area alumni.

How long have you been with CYDC and why do you serve? This is my first year with City Year Washington, DC in an official capacity. I have been working for City Year HQ out of the DC office for the past three years and I am entering my 13th year with City Year. I was a corps member and senior corps member with City Year Greater Philadelphia in 1998 and 1999. I serve because the work we do is important to improving the lives and future of our children and cities. Change only happens when people take action and commit to making a difference.

What are you most excited about this year and or the future of CYDC? I am excited about the growth CYDC is planning on undertaking over the coming years and the impact we will have on the children of DC with more corps members in service. I am also excited about all the amazing experiences the corps members will have this year as a corps member. My corps year was so special. I learned so much about myself and developed relationships that will last forever and I hope this corps has the same type of experience.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? It is so hard to pick a favorite moment. There have been so many over the course of my lifetime. But the moments all have the same three things that have made them stand out in my memories: making personal connections with those you serve that help define the person you are, getting out of your comfort zone and challenging everything you have ever thought or felt, and of course impact – the ability to see or understand the difference you are making.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I love crime shows on TV and mystery novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment