Friday, September 18, 2009

Meet Joel!

Joel Shurerk
Civic Engagement Program Manager

Hometown: Temperance, Michigan

Education: BA in Mass Media Communications from Michigan State University

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am the Civic Engagement Program Manager. I will be leading a team of corps members and one senior corps member in the development and implementation of physical service projects throughout DC.

How long have you been with CYDC and why do you serve? I have been on staff at CYDC for a month. Before DC, I served in Louisiana and on Team Care Force.
I serve because I believe in the National Service Movement’s role in building and strengthening our communities.

What are you most excited about this year and or the future of CYDC? I am excited about working with my corps members, learning from each other throughout the year and growing personally and professionally. I am also excited about the growing partnership between DCPS and CYDC, and how that will contribute to our ability to reach as many students and communities in need as possible.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? I worked as a Project Coordinator for the NBA All-Star service in New Orleans. I got to tell some well-known players, such as Dwayne Wade and Ray Allen, what to do. Yeah, it was awesome.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I had a lip piercing in college and have played guitar since I was 12 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment