Monday, September 14, 2009

Meet Cristina A. Gomez!


Cristina A. Gomez Development Associate

Hometown: Sharyland, Texas

Education: University of Houston, BA Public Relations & Creative Writing

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am the Development Associate and I work on a team with 5 fabulous women to help raise over $3 million for City Year Washington, DC. I am directly responsible for the annual appeal process, grant writing and reporting, and the Combined Federal Campaign. With the other members of the Development Team I assist in planning events, communications, and other fundraising activities. It takes a lot of coordination to raise over $3 million dollars!

How long have you been with CYDC and why do you serve? I served in Boston in 2006-2007 on the Civic Engagement Team. I loved it so much I came on board at CY Boston as the Civic Engagement Program Manager the following year. In 2008, I came to CYDC to work on the Development side of City Year and am going on my fourth year with City Year.
I joined City Year to make a difference in underserved communities. I continue to serve because it is personally really important to me that I set a positive example for Hispanic youth, especially my younger siblings.

What are you most excited about this year and or the future of CYDC? I am really excited to see the City Year Washington, DC 2009-2010 corps in action. Every year the corps gets better and better. There is so much potential here in DC. I can’t wait for their service to begin!

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? When I was a little girl I was determined to be a professional canal cleaner. I know, weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment