Friday, September 25, 2009

Meet Allison!


Allison Felder


Whole School Whole Child Program Manager


Hometown: Iowa City, Iowa

Education: BA in Psychology from University of Missouri-Columbia

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am a Program Manager for the Whole School Whole Child Team at Malcolm X Elementary School.

How long have you been with CYDC and why do you serve? This is my first year at CYDC. I serve because I want to challenge and inspire more young people to be actively engaged in their communities.

What are you most excited about this year and or the future of CYDC? I am very excited about all of the new WSWC initiatives and the impact they will have on the schools we work in. I am also excited to see the site grow and be able to reach out to so many more students in the DC area.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? It’s very hard to pick just one! My first year at City Year I was mentoring all 8th grade boys because they were the students City Year could have access to during lunch. I didn’t feel like I was getting through to one student Dominic very well at all. We had a decent time and conversation over lunch but not much more than that. Dominic is an extremely bright kid who was getting in trouble mainly because he was bored in school. I tried to get him to join Young Heroes, but he was dragging his feet, so I pretty much gave up on the idea. However he was working behind my back and surprised me by showing up to the first YH service event. He helped me paint a mural all that day and came to YH every week after, going on to win the PURPOSE award. Seeing him that first day, and seeing him use his head to manipulate other corps members into surprising me was amazing.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I am a complete klutz (make sure I do not fall on my face!!), but know how to juggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment