Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Get to know Claire!


Claire S.
Corps member serving at Browne

Hometown: Fort Myers, Florida

Education: B.A. in Psychology from Mercer University, with a concentration in Leadership and Community Service

What team are you on and what do you do? I’m on a Whole School, Whole Child team serving proudly at Browne Education Campus in Northeast D.C. and I get to spend time with 22 amazing third graders! I provide in-class academic support, help my teacher run classroom learning centers, and tutor small groups throughout the day. My team and I also work to create a positive school climate by planning engaging events, hanging out with kids during meals or recess, and generally promoting hard work and good attitudes. After school, we run an enrichment program called Starfish Corps, and I serve as the Learning Coordinator for the 1st and 2nd grade Starfish Corps curriculum. When I’m not at Browne, I serve on the Daily Briefing Team, the Corps Council, and as a Heroes Team Leader!

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I joined City Year because I think that as a young adult, it’s way too easy to become too self-involved. I wanted to spend some time after graduating college being part of something bigger than myself. At the same time, I’m still discovering new things about myself, about others, and about my future career goals. Gandhi said “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others”, and it’s so true!

What are you most excited about this year? I’m most excited about watching my team grow together throughout our service year. It’s great to be part of such a diverse group, because I’m constantly learning from the experiences and perspectives of the people around me. I’m so proud of all we’ve accomplished so far this year, and I have high hopes for our continued success at Browne.

What are you most nervous about this year? Being away from the great support network of family friends that I have elsewhere across the country. I can be notoriously bad with change and transitions, but D.C. is feeling more comfy every day!

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I can’t snap my fingers. Lots of people have tried to teach me – it just never works.

No comments:

Post a Comment