Friday, November 20, 2009

Meet Chelsea!


Chelsea D.
Corps member serving at Browne

Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah

Education: B.A. from the University of San Diego

What team are you on and what do you do? I am on the Whole School, Whole Child team serving at Browne Education Campus. I am volunteering in a second grade class and providing literacy tutoring to students in small groups and an individual basis throughout the day. I also provide support to the students and school during lunchtime and recess. Once the academic school day ends, me and my team help with the afterschool program and help the students with their homework. Two days a week, we also plan a 1-hour long program called starfish, which is a mini-City Year program for the kids.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I became really inspired to service during college. I decided to take two years off before I matriculated into medical school and I wanted to spend my time doing something, unique, life-changing and meaningful. I was attracted to City Year after reading their website and realizing that it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a difference in my community.

What are you most excited about this year? I am really excited to get to know the students and build meaningful relationships that will hopefully make a positive and lasting impact on their lives, both personally and academically.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am most nervous about having to plan challenging and fun lesson for the whole school year.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I played tennis on my high school’s tennis team and won the Utah State Doubles Championship during my junior and senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment