Thursday, November 12, 2009

Meet Charlotte!


Charlotte D.
Corps Member serving at Malcolm X

Hometown: Newburgh, IN

Education: I just graduated from Butler University, where I majored in political science and minored in philosophy.

What team are you on and what do you do? I am on the Whole School Whole Child team serving at Malcolm X Elementary School located in SE Washington, DC. I am working in Miss Parron’s class with 21third graders. Everyday I am in the school I take five kids out of class to do small group tutoring through a tutoring program called Burst. Also, I take three to four different kids out daily during lunch to have a lunch club with them that is centered on 50 Acts of Leadership. 50 Acts of Leadership is a lunch club through our behavior initiative that encourages students to be a leader by their actions in and out of the classroom.
Finally, I am the After-School Enrichment Clubs Point Person for my team. Every Monday and Wednesday during After-School Enrichment, we have clubs that include a Sportsmanship, Travel, Step and Arts and Crafts Club. Therefore, I am in charge of making sure that everyone has there lesson plan prepared in advanced and that we have all of the materials that we need to have a successful club!

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I interned in Washington DC my junior year at the Attorney General’s Office in the Child and Family Services Division in the Abuse and Neglect Section. My heart went out to a lot of the children and cases that I saw and I knew that I wanted to do something in the lives of these kids. I knew I was graduating soon and started to look at different gap year programs to do before I went back to law school. When I finally looked into City Year, I knew it was the right program for me. The main reason for why I serve is because I know during my life I was blessed with so many people who cared about me and pushed me to be great. I know that through City Year I can be that person to push several kids to their full potential.

What are you most excited about this year? I am most excited about all of the friends that I have made through City Year. I was really nervous about moving to a new city where I did not know that many people, but through City Year I have met some really amazing people. It is really great working with a hundred people between the ages of 17 and 24 because there are always people to hang out with. I live with three other girls from City Year and we surprisingly all get along really well. I also already have a close group of friends that I made through City Year.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am most nervous about how much energy it takes to do this job. It is very tiring and can be extremely draining. I went to take a nap last night at seven o’clock and did not wake up until six this morning. It will definitely be one the hardest jobs I ever have, where I get paid so little. That’s another thing I am nervous about… living on a stipend. I have a mild addiction to clothes and shopping, so living on a stipend is going to be pretty difficult for me.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? Most people don’t know that I have an identical twin sister and that I can lick my elbow! I promise it’s not humanly impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment