Friday, November 6, 2009

Introducing Chris!

Chris M.
Corps Member serving at Turner at Green

Hometown: Pacific Palisades, CA

Education: BS in Comprehensive Science at Villanova University 2009

What team are you on and what do you do? I am working at Turner at Green Elementary in the 1st grade. I work closely with the primary teacher. Together we develop lesson plans emphasizing basic reading, writing, and math skills. I also work each day with the students on the playground where I demonstrate the importance of good sportsmanship and offer my help with whatever they need. Lastly we have worked with the school to setup an after school curriculum tailored to their needs.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I joined City Year to give back to an under-resourced area. I wanted to give back to a community and be a part of the national service movement. I recently graduated college and plan to go to law school, but wanted to take a year off from school and immerse myself into a new environment to further my growth.

What are you most excited about this year? I am excited to get to know a new city, I am looking forward to getting to know the challenges of teaching, and want to see some positive change in the students I work with everyday.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am nervous about not making enough of a difference with the students I work with. I am also nervous about getting physically exhausted after working so many long hours.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I love to cook and have been experimenting with many new recipes. It is relaxing for me to come home from work and whip up a tasty dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment