Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Get to Know Uno!

UnoBlessed Coons

Project Leader for Recruitment & Alumni Affairs

Hometown: Indianapolis, Indiana

Education: 1 year at Indiana University

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am a project leader for recruitment and alumni affairs. I help recruit corps members for the next service year by attending career fairs and panels, doing presentations, and assisting potential corps members with the application process.

What did you do last year? Last year I was a corps member on a Whole School Whole Child team here at CYDC. I served at Turner at Green Elementary School in Southeast.

Why did you come back to serve at City Year? I came back because I loved my service and the positive effect I had on the lives of the children I worked with at Turner at Green. But i as much of a positive effect I had on my kids in school, City Year had a greater effect on me as a person and a leader. So i wanted to give another year to continue to develop as a leader and to spread the City Year message to other young people like myself.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? I have a lot but my most recent one was when I got the opportunity to spend a week in my hometown, Indianapolis, with City Year Care Force. Care Force is a team of second year corps members that travel around the country engaging our corporate sponsors in physical service. It was an amazing feeling to be able to return to my hometown to prep and lead a service event for ARAMARK employees.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I was the biggest tomboy when I was little. I loved trucks and until i was nine years old I refused to wear shirts as I laid around the house because my older brother didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment