Friday, October 9, 2009

Meet David Steber!



David Steber

Team Leader for Browne Education Center

Hometown: Davidson, NC

Education: BA from UNC Chapel Hill

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am a Team Leader for a Whole School Whole Child team at Browne Education Campus.

What did you do last year? I was a Corps Member on a Whole School Whole Child team at Browne. I was in Ms. Sharpe’s 4th grade class, providing in-class support, small group and one-on-one tutoring, and I helped facilitate the After School program with my team.

Why did you come back to serve at City Year? I am back because I want to lead a team in the same school I served in this past year. I want to see the children continue to grow as people and improve academically throughout the course of a second year.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service. One of my favorite moments was this past May, when the 1st – 4th graders in the After School program performed Peter Pan for over 100 friends, parents, and family. Our team had collectively worked on preparing for this day since February, and it was a big celebration. Children dressed in costumes and performing Peter Pan is not only adorable by definition, but it brought joy in these children and their family members that I had never seen during our time at the school. This is a moment I will never forget, and it will continue to bring a smile to my face.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I love listening to classical music, and I played in the Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestra for two years in High School. I played the string bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment