Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Young Heroes Graduation

by Alex Gebhart, corps member serving at Spingarn High School

Recently, the Young Heroes Program culminated in its final program – the Heroes Graduation. At Emery Education Campus, in a packed auditorium, the Young Heroes, who served at least one hundred hours together over the past six months, celebrated their successes and the triumphs of the last 10 years of service performed by middle school students in the DC area. Young heroes were celebrated for their Courage, Commitment, Compassion, and Cooperation.  Afterwards, the heroes, their parents, and the program volunteers participated in a cookout together as a final celebration, closing a great six months of service and fun.


As a Team Leader for Young Heroes, I was so proud of my team and the other over one hundred Young Heroes for completing their service this year. I know that my team has accomplished, learned, and developed as leaders, and I am excited to know that they will be leading the next generation of young people to greatness. As the past six months have gone on, I know that young people not only can make a difference, but have made a difference, and I am proud to say that I have helped foster the desire for service in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment