Monday, May 23, 2011

Never Lose the Human Aspect

by Jon Ragsdale, corps member serving at Winston Education Campus


At City Year we have a saying that reminds us "To never lose the human aspect of what we are doing."

As our June 10th graduation moves ever closer, this saying weighs heavily on my mind.

My year began with a training full of statistics on the Achievement Gap and it's impact on the American economy and society.

It is certainly true that City Year is making a gigantic difference in closing this achievement gap:

at my school, 100% of the students we work with
have seen their classroom performance improve.



However, on a daily basis, the numbers and the data do not matter. The smiles and cheers of excitements from the students when they see a City Year Red Jacket  provide all the proof in the world that City Year Corps Members are changing the world.


And I have no doubt that 20 years from now, what I will remember most about my year of service are those wonderful, joyous smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment