Monday, December 6, 2010

Get to Know Gagen (Megan) Verma

Megan Verma (Right) and Teammate



Hometown: Bhiwani, India and New York, NY



Education: Barnard College, Columbia University: BA in Biochemistry and pre-medicine, May 2008



What team are you on and what do you do?
I proudly serve on the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield HIV/AIDS Outreach, Prevention and  Education Team, also known as the HOPE team. I work with my team to deliver HIV/AIDS prevention education to middle and high schools throughout DC. We also collaborate with community organisations that provide HIV/AIDS related services to DC residents through our internship sites; I work with two other teammates at Housing Works.



Why did you join City Year and why do you serve?
After college, I worked as a corporate paralegal for two years. While it was a great learning experience, I chose to serve with City Year mainly to work with young people in under-served communities. I'm hoping my service year will provide me with focus and direction so I can continue this kind of work in my legal career.



What are you most excited about this year?
Partnering with Metro Teen Aids! It's a great organization that focuses solely on providing support for youth in the DC area.



What were you most nervous about this year?
Discovering that middle school is as awkward as I remember.



What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess?
I learned how to milk a water buffalo from my mom, who grew up with one in Punjab.

No comments:

Post a Comment