Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Get to Know Meheret!

Meheret E.
Corps member serving on H.O.P.E.

Hometown: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Education: Whitman College

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve on the HIV/AIDS Outreach Prevention and Education (H.O.P.E.) team. As a member of this team it is my honor to deliver a CDC approved HIV/AIDS prevention curriculum to middle and high school students, reaching more than 3,000 youth. Additionally, I facilitate “Visionary Youth Becoming Empowered” (VYBE), an after school program designed to empower youth to become informed and make confident decisions about sex. Everyone on the H.O.P.E. team has the opportunity to intern at a community organization working on various HIV/AIDS issues. I’m an HIV testing coordinator intern at Metro TeenAIDS, a community health organization dedicated to supporting young people in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I’m from one of the poorest countries in the world and when I immigrated to Seattle, Washington, I lived in bad neighborhoods and went to the worst schools in the district. But where I'm from didn't determine what I could achieve. I have a very supportive family, but when it came to academics and succeeding in the U.S., they were still struggling. Various programs (i.e. Upward Bound) and mentors who believed in me, I was able to attend a great college and secure stable life. I joined City Year because I want to be part of an organization that is dedicated to bridging the achievement gap. I serve because I want to be able to make a difference in a child’s life the way others made a difference in mine.

What are you most excited about this year? I'm excited about everything. I'm in a different city with corps members from all over the nation. I'm looking forward to learning the DC culture. Most Importantly, I look forward to the meaningful relationships I will build with DC youth and community.

What are you most nervous about this year? I'm nervous about adjusting to the culture of City Year and DC. I’m also apprehensive about my ability to make a significant impact on the students we serve.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I have 20 nieces and nephews.









No comments:

Post a Comment