Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My First Day of Service: Daniel A.

Walking out of Malcolm X with a huge smile on my face after my first day of school, I turned to one of my teammates.
“Oh my god. We’re doing this every day for the rest of the year. Ahhh!”

No matter how many trainings and observation periods you judiciously take notes through, nothing can prep you to be single handedly responsible for a dozen fifth-graders in one of DC’s most challenging elementary schools like, well, being single handedly responsible for a dozen fifth-graders in one of DC’s most challenging elementary schools. We were totally thrown into the fire, but most of us came out stronger than ever.

We started the day by “making it rain” on Malcolm X while they lined up for class. To the kids’ disappointment, money did not come falling from the ceiling. However, our admirable attempt to create the sounds of a rainstorm by snapping and clapping and stomping proved semi-successful, and it also set the tone for the rest of the day. Dream big, I learned, and find joy in what works.

Once in class, I walked around the room while my fifth grade teacher taught, keeping students focused and helping where needed. My teacher pulled three students to the back of the room for me to help through their classwork. I would later learn their names, and that they were the class’s three worst behaved. We did great though! At lunch, I successfully deescalated nearly every fight that sprung up in my vicinity. After school, ridiculously understaffed, was crazy and incredible. A lot of work is needed there. My team of CY corps members are amazing.

We concluded the day with one word debriefs. OMG, Wow, WTH, were a few thrown out there. Mine? Something-to-build-on. (Yes, I know I cheated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment