Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Meet Sheun!


Sheun O.
Corps member serving at Simon

Hometown: Laurel, MD

Education: Carnegie Mellon University, B.S. Chemical/Biomedical Engineering

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve on the Simon Elementary team in Southeast Washington D.C., which is a Whole School Whole Child team. We work full time in the schools Monday thru Thursday as in class support, tutors and after school programming facilitators.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I joined City Year to serve because I believe that I have only one God given life and I do not want to waste it. I believe that the most meaningful things in life cannot be measured by a dollar amount, but are truly found through one learning to focus on others and not self. I also serve due to the fact that this generation, which is heavily influenced by the media and negative role models, is in dire need of a change. I hope that my actions can contribute to that change in some way.

What are you most excited about this year? I am most excited about building relationships with my team and the children with which I will work. I am also excited about all of the unexpected things that I will be surprised by.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am most nervous about wasted opportunities.

What is something that most people don’t know about you and would not guess? People do not know that I am a gospel rap enthusiast and one day plan on releasing a gospel rap album.

No comments:

Post a Comment