Thursday, November 19, 2009

Meet Omar!


Omar E.
Corps member serving at Turner @ Green

Hometown: Akron, OH/Cairo, Egypt

Education: Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Washington University in St. Louis

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve on the Serve DC team serving at Turner at Green Elementary School. I work with a fifth grade class providing math and literacy tutoring in one-on-one and small group settings. At our school we have started a behavior initiative in which I work with a group of 5th grade boys, functioning as a role model and mentor.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I joined City Year to expose myself to different communities I would never have had any exposure to otherwise. It has provided me with the opportunity to learn about and experience the harsh realities of the achievement gap plaguing inner cities and urban communities in the United States. I serve in order to make a difference and to learn from the people I work with.

What are you most excited about this year? I am most excited about learning from the kids I am working with. As much as I may teach them; they will certainly teach me a great deal about myself.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am most nervous about not making a difference in these children's lives.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? Most people don't know that I attended high school overseas in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment