Friday, October 23, 2009

Meet Daniel!

Daniel L.
Corps Member serving on Civic Engagement

Hometown: Falls Church, VA

Education: BA in Conflict Analysis and Resolution with a concentration in Community, Group, and Organizational Conflict from George Mason University.

What team are you on and what do you do? I serve proudly on the CSX Civic Engagement Team. We are responsible for creating and running physical service projects in the community. I have spent a great deal of time in-kinding supplies so far, though our other responsibilities include assessing the need of sites for some sort of transformative physical service, deciding what exactly needs to be done, recruiting volunteers, prepping the site, and leading volunteers in the service.

Why did you join City Year and why do you serve? I knew I wanted to do at least one year of dedicated service to a community in need, preferably mine. I serve because I see no reason for someone not to if they are young and have the capability to get involved with their community and grow personally while making a contribution.

What are you most excited about this year? I am excited about getting to take empty grounds and blank walls and then show the community how the commitment and a positive attitude can make playgrounds and beautiful colorful murals emerge overnight.

What are you most nervous about this year? I am nervous about always getting to the right place at the right time, as my commute will often be to different unfamiliar locations, and includes a bike ride to the metro, a metro ride into the city from Virginia, and often an extra bus ride or walk through a new part of town. Timing and planning will be very crucial.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? The majority of my paycheck that doesn’t go to the essentials goes to comic book shops. My collection was well over 1000 issues of various titles last time I counted. It’s an addiction really.

No comments:

Post a Comment