Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Get to Know Mike!


Michael Stevens

Whole School Whole Child Program Manager

Hometown: Rochester, New York

Education: BS in Sociology & Criminal Justice from Keuka Collge in NY.

What is your position and what do you do here at CYDC? I am a Whole School Whole Child Program Manager. I manage and support two teams, one at Turner @ Green Elementary School and another at Ferebee Hope Elementary School. I provide coaching for my corps members and help maintain the relationship between them and teachers and administrators.

How long have you been with CYDC and why do you serve? I have been with CYDC for three years. I also served in New Orleans as a City Year corps member. I serve because I feel that you are suppose to.

What are you most excited about this year and or the future of CYDC? I am excited to not only see how successful my corps members are in the future but also to see what the work they start now has grown into in five years.

Tell me a short story about your favorite moment in service? As a corps member in New Orleans in 2006, I was responsible for coordinating service in a FEMA trailer park. So twice a week our team facilitated open mic night to engage the youth in the park and help them deal with their issues as well. And my favorite moment was when one of our regular attending middle school boys got up and read a personal poem. He had never spoken up and I didn’t even no he was a writer. It was amazing I was so moved and felt like what we were doing really was making a difference in their lives.

What is something most people don’t know about you and wouldn’t guess? I am fearfully shy!

No comments:

Post a Comment